Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Healthy Thanksgiving Recipe

Healthy Recipes on Thanksgiving…does this sound unusual and boring?

When we think of high caloric recipes such as stuffed turkey, cream enriched sauce, the buttered mashed potatoes plus the pumpkin pies, then the word healthy does not seems to be a perfect adjective to be used. So why not experiment with some unusual recipe which is wholesome and delicious too?

In my family, Thanksgiving Day is a very favorable day and we celebrate this particular day in a great manner by welcoming our near and dear ones for the dinner. So for this Thanksgiving Day special, I have a few ideas. I love playing with different ingredients as well as flavors. Do not worry…nothing much I am going to do…just easy alterations to the regular Thanksgiving meals.

Here are given various adjustments which I have done for the common Thanksgiving Day menu:

Turkey: turkey is considered to be a delicacy and could be the appealing dish of your festival meal or some other celebration like Thanksgiving Day. Turkey is an extremely lean animal which contains very less fat. But when it is basted in butter, it becomes high caloric and fatty food. So what Idid here, inplace of butter, I used olive oils and baked it. With this slight variation, my turkey came out extremely delicious plus healthy too.

Bread: usually people use white flour for making bread. But I preferred to make with wheat flour and thus served the bread with baked turkey.

Good Gravy: Are you aware of the fact that gravy is the greatest culprits on the dinner table. Instead of using turkey drippings, i used the vegetable oil while making the gravy. You can also make low-fat broth-based gravy or vegeterian gravy instead.

Dessert: dessert is considered to be the last but not the least course of the meal. Instead of preparing cheesecakes and various kinds of pieswhich are most often loaded with creams, nuts or caramel, I relied on serving fresh fruits as a dessert menu.

Another variation I did in my Thanksgiving dinner menu is the utilization of leftover ham. I made Ham and Swiss Rosti. Rosti is actually a Swiss potato pancake which can be served as a side dish but I added ham and change it into an easy and mouth-watering Thanksgiving dinner menu. You can actually enjoy the dish with boiled asparagus and applesauce on the side.

This year it was painless for me to develop some variations in my family’s Thanksgiving menu. I just made few variations and it was a hit. Go ahead and try your own invented ideas. This could be the way to impress your family and friends..

Take a look at the free Thanksgiving Cookbooks. You can also take a look at some yummy apple recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment